Addis Ethiopia

Friday, March 16, 2007

Somalia Once Again

It seems that the Somalian crisis is gradually fading in our memories even though the situation on the ground has not improved much. I sincerely hope that Somalians finally agree to form a democratic government; and finally work together for their common livelihood.

The swift military victory of Ethiopian forces against the UIC has surprised every body – a casual observer like me, „western military analysts“, or even Ethiopian authorities. I bet every one of us felt a little proud of our brave soldiers. I only wish that we feel half as delighted when the IMF applauds our economic achievements.

On the positive side, the Somalian intervention has steered probably the most mature dialogue in contemporary Ethiopian politics. As some fanatic opposition leaders failed once again to differentiate between Ethiopian interests and EPRDF / Meles. For some, whatever comes out of Meles’ leadership is evil even when the fact basically is what they would have been more aggressive done if they were in his shoes. On the other side of the camp, many tried to equate whoever opposed to the aggression (or call it „invited intervention“) is the enemy of Ethiopia. I still salute those opposition politicians who eloquently expressed their opposition to the operation.

I don’t feel any less Ethiopian when I expressed my doubts about

- the long term impact of the military intervention with respect to our relation with the Somalians and the Arab and Muslim world in general.

- the fact that the government has (at least for the local press) made it clear that they were aiming at two birds – the terrorist UIC and Ethiopian opposition fronts (OLF and ONLF).

- the direct economic burden to support a military operation in such a big country like Somalia as well as the indirect effects on our economy (tourism and repulsion of investment)

- whether a military victory solves the Ogaden Issue

I don’t want to write poems or sing tunes about those brave soldiers who paid in their precious lives in the interests of our Ethiopia when I very well know that the closet I can get to the war is seeing graphic pictures on my screen. I am not a pacifist, nor am I the type who offers the left chick when slapped on the right. The world has not reached to the level of solving their differences around the table either. But let’s for once not expect poor boys who have no other choices to go out and die for our comfort. Do you remember „kemayireba shiro yishalal shiraro“? Anyway that is hardly an Ethiopian phenomenon.

Though a few Ugandan soldiers have already arrived in Somalia, there is a long way to go. I believe that the Ethiopian government has been doing a lot of good foot work in the African diplomatic circle. Not surprisingly, our brave soldiers – those unfortunate brothers and sisters of ours – have to face the hardship longer than they ever imagined. I seriouly doubt if the African Union will ever be able to successfully mount any peace keeping operation by all by itself given its dire financial resources.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home